Tam Piyawadi Jantrupon is the owner and instructor of . She uses the home where she was born and grew up to share her love of Thai cooking. The area is surrounded with homes of relatives dating back for more that 3 generations.
The school is located in the old Bangkok area next to the canal. This area is suitable for growing vegetables and Thai herbs used in teaching and flavoring Thai dishes. Tam’s love for Thai culture, arts and cooking started in this home where she watched her grandmother and aunts prepare authentic meals from picking vegetables from the garden to various steps of preparation. Both of her relatives were the teachers at the first official home science school in Thailand, “Home Science Secondary School”. With a passion of cooking, Tam had additional training and education from a culinary school and famous Thai food masters whenever she could find time to improve her skill for Thai dishes.
Following completion of her bachelor’s degree in Law from Thammasat University, she was employed as Legal officer at Tourism Authority of Thailand for several years. As a spouse of a Thai official, she has spent considerable time abroad. In the 1980’s, Tam lived in Los Angeles, and had the opportunity to cook for the Thai community and diplomats. She was asked to teach Thai cooking to American families and friends, who were amazed at how simple, easy and delicious the dishes were. This was the starting point of her interest to teach and share her knowledge of cooking. While living abroad, Tam creatively sought substitutes for local spices in order to achieve an authentic Thai taste.
Additional experiences and information about Tam:
- Graduated from the Fashion Institute and Design and Merchandising and worked for few years with a fashion firm in Los Angeles.
- Experienced performer of Thai mask dancing or Ramayana Plays and Thai classical dance.
- A collector of Thai arts, antiques and objects.
- Spends her free time playing Thai musical instruments such as ranard ….
- Tam’s philosophy is to share her experience of true Thai home cooking in a relaxing environment. The school is surrounded by herbs and fruit garden along a canal, in the midst of a true Thai lifestyle and culture.